Monday, February 6, 2012

February Birthdays~~

I like baking for others... especially birthday cakes =) Although my cakes aren't super fancy like the ones in the shop.. they are baked with love =p haha!
lighting the candle~~
My dad's birthday falls on the same day as my colleague so had the opportunity to bake 2 cakes!!

So happy it worked :)
The first cake was made together with my mum... Pandan chiffon cake. When my mum was separating the egg whites and egg yolks, a yolk accidentally fell in the whites >___< My mum fished it out with a spoon but I was a bit doubtful to whether it would still work out.... but it DID =D hehe.. the cream of tartar and caster sugar probably help stabilise the egg whites.. so SUCCESS!! You can find the recipe here. It's the same recipe as the green tea chiffon cake but instead of green tea powder, I added half a teaspoon of pandan essence. Of course the flavour would be improved it I was using pandan leaves.

slice for u~~~~
The second cake was a Sachertorte! I think it semi failed though because I didn't beat the egg whites to soft peaks ><" so the cake didn't rise properly. However for a nice, dense and chocolatey cake.. it was a success =P it was fun icing at well! (I used a chopstick because i STILL don't own PIPING BAGS T_T).

Sachertorte recipe


Ingredients
85g plain flour
4 tbsp cocoa powder
110g butter
200g caster sugar
4 eggs, separated


To decorate
2 tbsp apricot jam
200g dark chocolate, chopped
175ml cream


1. Preheat oven to 180oC and line cake tin.
2. Sift flour and cocoa together.
3. In a small saucepan, heat the butter till melted and then remove from heat. Stir in sugar until well mixed.
4. Beat in egg yolks the pour mix into dry ingredients and still until well combined.
5. Whisk egg whites with electric mixer until soft peaks form. Fold into chocolate mixture, one third at a time.
6. Pour batter into cake tin and bake for 40 minutes.
7. Warm jam and spread over cake. Melt chocolate and cream over a double boiler and ice cooled cake.
Iced and decorated with a chopstick xP
Although not every bake can be a success... It's the thought that counts :) I'm sure they'll appreciate it ;P

1 comment:

  1. Hey! I've been wanting to make a Sachetorte ever since I knew such a thing existed, ,hehe. Baking cakes is lovely, but making them for others is even better, isn't it? ;)

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving comments/messages so feel free to drop a line :)