Friday, March 29, 2013

Cooking JAPANESE sweets: Dorayaki

I LOVE DORAYAKI!!! For those who aren't familiar with these delicious Japanese sweets, dorayaki is a red bean pancake consisting of two small pancake-like patties sandwiched together with sweet red bean paste. I would eat them more often but they are quite expensive to buy... however I have a hand written recipe from a friend that has been stuck on the fridge since last year! Had a craving for something sweet so I decided to give them a go!

Dorayaki
Recipe adapted from Xena (thanks ^^)

Ingredients
3 eggs
140g caster sugar
2 tsp honey
5 tsp milk
180g plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
400g red bean paste


1. Beat eggs and sugar in a bowl till thick and creamy.
2. Add sifted flour and baking powder and fold till combined.
3. Add honey and milk and mix well. Leave batter to sit for 10-30 minutes.
4. Heat a non stick fry pan (medium not high) and place a dollop of batter in. Cook until bubbles formed then flip to other side. Cook for a few seconds and remove from pan.
5. Sandwich two doriyaki together with red bean paste and enjoy!

I also made some green tea dorayaki by adding 1-2 tbs of green tea powder to the batter. It's a great combination! I love how these pancakes and crispy on the outside because of the caramelised sugar :) yet lovely, soft and fluffy inside! If only I had the special moulds they would look like the professional ones.

Crispy outside, fluffy inside pancakes with sweet red bean paste filling :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love receiving comments/messages so feel free to drop a line :)