Sunday, June 8, 2014

Work Catering #45: For peanut butter lovers

I'm not sure how we came about the topic but my friend and I started talking about peanut butter and baking. To be honest, I haven't baked a lot with peanut butter. I know it's quite popular in America but the craze hasn't really caught on in Australia. It's not that I don't like peanut butter.. I used to have it on toast and in sandwiches all the time when I was younger! So when I came across this recipe for Peanut butter stuffed brownies, I decided I would make this for all the peanut butter lovers out there!

Peanut butter stuffed brownies
Recipe adapted from Sallys Baking Addiction

Ingredients
1/2 cup (115g) salted butter
230g dark chocolate
3/4 cup (150g) caster sugar
1/4 cup (50g) brown sugar
3 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla essence
1/2 cup + 2 tbs (80g) plain flour
2 tbs (16g) cocoa powder
1/4 tsp salt

Peanut butter filling
3/4 cup (185g) creamy peanut butter
1 cup (120g) icing sugar
2 tsp vanilla essence
2 tbs (30ml) milk
2 tbs each chocolate chips and peanut butter chips (I used butterscotch chips)

1. Melt butter and dark chocolate in medium saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly for 10 minutes.
2. Make peanut butter filling by beating peanut butter, icing sugar, vanilla and milk together with electric mixer until combined. The mixture will be thick. Set aside.
3. Adjust oven rack to lower third position and preheat oven to 180oC. Grease and line 23cm square baking pan with baking paper. 
4. Whisk sugars into the cooled chocolate/butter mixture. Add the eggs, one at a time, whisking until smooth after each addition. Add in vanilla. Gently fold in flour, cocoa powder and salt. 
5. Pour half of the brownie batter into prepared baking pan. Take large chunks of peanut butter filling and flatten with your hands. Place flat pieces in an even layer on top of the brownie layer. 

Pour the remaining brownie batter on top. Top with chocolate chips and peanut butter chips. Bake for ~35 minutes or until skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Don't overbake them!
Can u see the peanut butter layer??
There's the peanut butter fudge layer!
Another easy slice I baked was this Chocolate rough slice. It's egg free! And kind of tastes like a rum ball but slice version~ Coconut lovers will love this slice!

Chocolate Rough Slice
Recipe adapted from Baker's Corner

Ingredients
Base
1 cup self raising flour
1 tbs cocoa powder
1/4 cup desiccated coconut
1/3 cup caster sugar
125g butter, melted

Topping
1 tbs cocoa powder
3/4 cup condensed milk
100g dark chocolate, melted
1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
2 cups desiccated coconut

1. Preheat oven to 180oC. Line an 18cm x 28cm baking pan with baking paper.
2. Combine base ingredients in large bowl and press into prepared pan. Bake for 15 minutes until golden.
3. Combine topping ingredients in another bowl and spread over base. Cool and then cut into slices.
Rough looking? haha
Smaller portions look nicer

Coconutty and chocolatey!

Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. I've got a friend that loves anything peanut butter and loves my baking, so I'm always on my lookout for peanut butter recipes! This looks amazing!! Adding to my recipe list!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. =) hope you bake it! im sure your friend will love whatever you bake ^^

      Delete

I love receiving comments/messages so feel free to drop a line :)