Thursday, May 24, 2012

Orange and poppy seed cake - a classic bake

I finally got around to baking one of the classic cakes on my to-bake-list.. the orange and poppy seed cake! After my orange and poppy seed muffins, I wanted to look for a good recipe for a cake version and stumbled across this one after googling many recipes!

It's funny that it came from an "Australian Rules Football Star" =p I think it was a recipe book made for charity :) so here it is~ his original recipe was for orange AND lemon but I didn't have any lemon xD

Orange and Poppy seed cake adapted from (http://www.cuppaforheartkids.org.au/downloads/recipes/Dipper_Orange_and_Lemon_Cake.pdf)

Ingredients
1/3 cup poppy seeeds
1/4 cup milk (60ml)
125g butter, softened
1 cup caster sugar
3 eggs
zest of 1 orange, grated
2 cups self-raising flour
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup orange juice (60ml)

1. Mix the poppy seeds and milk in a small bowl and leave to soak.
2. Preheat oven to 160oC. Grease a round cake tin (or a bundt tin).
3. Beat butter and sugar until pale and creamy using electric mixer. Add orange zest and eggs one at a time, beating well after adding each egg.
4. Add flour, milk, orange juice and poppy seeds and mix until just combined.
5. Pour into cake tin and bake for 40-45 minutes or until skewer inserted into the middle of cake comes our clean.
6. Cool in tin before turning onto wire rack.
Inside of Orange and poppy seed cake~ nice and fluffy ^^
You can choose to ice with cream cheese icing but I found it tasted nice just like that =) I like this recipe because it's simple (because I think meant for kids ^^)

1 comment:

  1. love all your delicious-looking baked goods! what a cute blog. i'm glad i stumbled upon this blog, new follower!! i can't wait to try some of these recipes out myself.

    www.fooddiaryproject.blogspot.com :)

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving comments/messages so feel free to drop a line :)