Monday, June 18, 2012

Upside down is right way up!

After watching an episode of Masterchef, I was inspired to try out this Maggie Beer recipe! The contestants had to bake an Upside down grape cake during a pressure test and the cake looked SO DELICIOUS! the glistening fruit on top and the lovely soft and fluffy cake!!! (watching cooking shows definitely makes me want to bake =p).

So I decided to make the cake~ with a few adjustments as I didn't have grapes or verjuice and I didn't have the strict time limit =p

I received good reviews from family and friends (which is good to know).. so thought it was worthy to share on my blog!

Upside down Pear and Raspberry cake


Ingredients

Topping
2 tbs butter
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 pear, sliced
1/4 cup raspberries

Cake batter
4 eggs, separated
1 cup caster sugar
Zest of 1 lemon
100ml vegetable oil
50ml lemon juice
1 cup plain flour
3/4 tsp baking powder

1. Preheat oven to 180oC. Line base and sides of 20cm round cake tin.
2. For topping, melt butter with brown sugar until sugar is dissolved. Pour into bottom of cake tin.
3. Arrange sliced pear and raspberries on base of tin.
4. For the cake batter, beat egg yolks and half the sugar and lemon zest until thick and pale using an electric mixer. While mixing, slowly pour in the vegetable oil and lemon juice. Beat for 30 seconds to combine.
5. Sift in the flour and baking powder and beat for 1 minute or until the batter is smooth.
6. Place egg whites into clean bowl and whisk until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining sugar while whisking, until sugar has dissolved.
7. Using a spatula, fold meringue into cake batter 1/3 at a time.
8. Pour mixture into cake tin and bake for 40-45 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool in tin before turning out. 
Nice colours of green oven mitts and brown cake :D
Piece for you! Look how fluffy it is!!!!
I realised that I didn't add that much fruit so I tried the recipe again and filled the bottom of the cake tin with fruit! ^__^ Was a MUCH better result! :) 


So go on there... get inspired and GET BAKING =D

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love receiving comments/messages so feel free to drop a line :)