Thursday, February 28, 2013

Work catering #11: Something fruity and something custardy

Since last week was all about chocolate, this week is a little lighter. Still had peaches at home so decided to make Fruit Pastry Cake! Haven't made this one in a while but you can find the recipe here.

Also on my "to-bake-list" was to try and make Vanilla slice. Walking past cafe's and bakeries, I've been getting some inspiration. This is a classic slice that I've always wanted to try and after looking  up a few recipes, it didn't seem too hard. I think the most difficult part that people have trouble with is the custard.... 



Which is where I got stuck too!!! I think I didn't cook it long enough for it to "thicken".. I was too scared I'd cook it too much that it would get 'lumpy'.. so I quickly took it off the stove. I kept on checking on it after every hour (felt like the contestants on Masterchef who keep opening the oven to see if their cake is cooked... but its like.. CLOSE THE OVEN!!! hahah now i know how they feel)...

Despite a more "runny" custard... the flavours were definitely there! so a recipe that i will definitely go back and repeat =)

This recipe is from Donna Hay who is quite a famous chef in Australia. She presents her food really well! I love looking through all her food recipes!

Vanilla slice
Recipe adapted from Donna Hay

Ingredients

3 sheets puff pastry, thawed
Icing sugar for dusting

Vanilla custard/cream
375ml (1 1/2 cups) milk
375ml (1 1/2 cups) single cream (I used thickened cream)
60g butter
2 tsp vanilla essence
150g (2/3 cup) caster sugar
1/3 cup cornflour
125ml (1/2 cup) water
6 egg yolks

1. Preheat oven to 180oC. Place puff pastry on lined baking tray. Prick with fork and bake for 8-10 minutes until golden. Cool and flatten if neccessary.
2. For custard, place milk, cream, butter, vanilla and sugar in saucepan ove medium-low heat and cook until hot but not boiling.
3. Mix the cornflour and water to a smooth paste and whisk into hot milk mixture.
4. Add the egg yolks and stir, allowing to simmer for 6 minutes or until mixture has thickened. Remove from heat and allow to cool at room temperature.
5. Place 1 1/2 pastry sheets in 20cm x 30cm baking pan lined with baking paper. Spread filling and top with remaining pastry sheets.
6. Refrigerate for 2 hours or until set. To serve, dust with icing sugar and slice.

A bit of a mess ><

But still sliceable :)


My fruit pastry cake with peaches and mixed berries

These served a lot better
Sides a bit more coloured than center...
Another close up of the cake~

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love receiving comments/messages so feel free to drop a line :)